Making & Soft Furnishings
On completion of this course students will be fully trained in the design and making of window dressings and soft furnishings.
Silent Gliss provide an onsite seminar on their Wave system and students will make a sheer (voile) curtain sample fitted to this system.
Discussion on bed dressings and students will make a lined bed valance sample with kick pleats.
Learn how to construct and create a perfect swag template to fit to a variety of window shapes. Make a full size swag & tail sample.
Learn how to template complex window shapes such as Dormer and Apex windows.
- Template and make an Arch window interlined curtain sample with Cartridge pleat heading and finish with Italian Stringing.
|Entry Requirement||Course ONE & Course TWO to have been attended|
|Course Timing||09:00 to 17:00|
If you are able to travel to us, we highly recommend training face to face at Victoria Hammond Academy, where you will receive individual tuition and guidance in a small class.
A deposit payment is required to secure your place on a course.
Balance payment is due to be settled at least
14 days prior to each course start date.
Option in ‘Your Account’ to make Part Payments towards the balance.
All course fees are inclusive of specialist products and materials, designer fabrics and a comprehensive step-by-step manual. We provide refreshments throughout the day.
Free parking on site.
On completion of this course students will be awarded an Accredited Certificate.
Victoria Hammond Collective is accredited by AIM Awards which is an approved British Awarding Body, regulated by Ofqual. We are registered with UKRLP as a Learning Provider and also an approved member of other reputable organisations, including the Association of Master Upholsterers & Soft Furnishers.
ONSITE Course THREE – Professional Curtain Making & Soft Furnishings
On completion of this course students will be fully trained in the design and making of window dressings and soft furnishings. Having attended Course ONE, TWO & THREE and Making of Cushions, students are then awarded a ‘DIPLOMA in Professional Curtain Making & Soft Furnishings’.
- Silent Gliss will provide an onsite technical seminar on their wave system, so students have a full understanding on the system’s components and how it operates. The wave curtain has become increasingly popular; it’s a neat and very stylish window dressing.
- Students will make a sample ‘wave’ curtain in sheer (voile) fabric, that can be fitted to the Silent Gliss system.
- Sheer curtains are traditionally used behind heavy curtains to provide privacy while letting in some light. Nowadays interior designers will specify sheers as the main fabric, when curtains are not required to provide insulation or block light. There are some stunning sheer fabrics, which create a delightful, airy effect to a window area.
- Discussion on how to approach the design of the bedroom, where the window and bed dressings compliment each other.
- Students will make a lined bed valance sample with kick pleats.
- Discussion on bed covers, bed runners and other bed dressings supported by full instructions on how to make up.
Day Three & Day Four (1.5 days)
Swags & Tails
- This historical and traditional window dressing is back in fashion, and can make a beautiful statement to a window using modern fabrics and trimmings. Discussion on swags and tails; various designs that can be applied, proportions, construction and fixings.
- Students will learn how to create and construct their own perfect swag template, and go on to make a contrast piped interlined swag.
- Students will learn how to create and construct their own perfect tail template, pattern matching to their swag sample, and go on to make a contrast lined and piped, interlined tail.
Day Four & Five (1.5 days)
Arched Windows & Italian Stringing
- Discussion on the complex arched windows and dormer windows that are shaped into a triangle.
- Students will template an irregular shaped arched window and explode the template.
- Students will go onto make a sample interlined single arch shaped curtain with a Goblet pleat heading.